Friday 30 April 2010

New Diplomacy module has enlightened my knowledge and understanding of diplomacy today

Diplomacy plays an extremely important role in world politics. An effective diplomacy can help to establish and maintain international peace and security. My opinion about this crucial role of diplomacy in the world politics has not changed the since of New Diplomacy module. However my opinion, about what diplomacy is, has been changed since the start of this module.

I used to think that when the heads of states interact with one another, these interactions are regarded as diplomatic activities. But New Diplomacy module has influenced my thinking. It can be argued that politicians may not be diplomats. Distinctions can be drawn between politicians and diplomats. Unlike old diplomacy, new diplomacy tends to be low politics rather than high politics.

The module has greatly enhanced my knowledge of this subject. I have learned about the history of diplomacy, its different forms and various ongoing debates. One of the interesting things I learned about diplomacy is its transformation or transition from old to new.

Perhaps most unexpected discovery about diplomacy is the role of some NGO’s in diplomatic activities. Diplomacy in my opinion was beyond the reach of NGO’s. But I was surprised to learn that in multilateral diplomacy, sometimes NGO’s have role too. These knowledge and understanding of diplomacy has made me more aware of NGO’s important role in diplomacy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment