Friday 30 April 2010

My Opinion on Today's Diplomacy

Diplomacy plays very significant role in the contemporary world of politics. It can be force for good by creating channel of communication among conflicting sides as well as helping to establish, innovate and foster global peace and security. I always believed that diplomacy is function sole for foreign office and its representative. However, since I started this module, 'the New Diplomacy', I discover that it goes fur deeper beyond the surface. Diplomacy involves by non state actors such as NGOs and it also has important role for the environment, trade and crisis.

The new diplomacy has given me the opportunity to explore this subject further. I have learned that diplomacy facilitates channel of communication among heads of states and non state politics in contemporary world of politics. Without communication, there would not be any international system as there will not be any interaction among states and non state actors. I have also learned the transformation of diplomacy from old to new, bilateral to multilateral and from secrecy to more open and honest.

The negotiation of agreements is plays crual role for enhancing relationships and achieving mutual benefits, thus diplomacy facilitates states actor to interact with minimum frication and tension.

In my opinion, the most interesting thing that I have learned in this module is the growing significant role of NGOs in diplomatic circle which I have underestimated in the past. At the sometime, there has been a decree in important of one traditional diplomacy core aspects; role of ambassador has been undermined.

4 comments:

  1. I find your comment about the role played by NGOs interesting. Therefore I strongly agree with you about their growing importance because I was not aware about their significance before the module, just like you. I would just add that because of the support of the United Nations, they are stronger and stronger day by day.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The role of NGO's in diplomatic activities, has also been a surprising discovery for me in New Diplomacy module.

    You have mentioned in your conclusion that the role of amssador has been undermined. However, I think that ambassadors still play important role in displomacy today.

    ReplyDelete