Wednesday 5 May 2010

Diplomacy and me


There is no doubt, the module concerning new diplomacy has greatly improved my perspective on the subject.
I chose this module without really understanding what was meant by the concept of "new" diplomacy. To me, old or new, diplomacy was the same no matter of the time or the location. I thought of diplomacy as an interaction between two or more people, states, organizations that seek to find a common ground of interest.
However, by assisting the lectures and the seminars, my view on diplomacy certainly has evolved. I have learned that diplomacy, nowadays, is something more than just a mere hypocrite collaboration between different actors.
It does no longer concern a small and powerful elite that decide of the fate of the world but has a much wider dimension since the new diplomacy is the diplomacy of the people. Diplomacy, in the modern intertwined world system, occurs not only through a collaboration of governments or embassies but through us all. We all are representatives of our nations and can make choices going for or against it.
The idea that perhaps has been of most interest to me, is the concept of public diplomacy. I believe that important decisions about the future of the international system can no longer take place through bilateral or even multilateral diplomacy between our governments. The rise of the media allows entire populations to witness the events taking place on our planet. As Joseph Nye stated "information is power" therefore governments no longer have the choice but to include the general population in the decision making process. Most of the states, nowadays, seek to improve their image in the eyes of domestic and foreign audiences. Global awareness is the key to a better future. If populations are aware of the intentions of their own and foreign state, the resulting world order will be more secure. Global awareness is also the only way to fight global issues such as poverty, racial or sexual discrimination or even the omen of the 21st century, terrorism.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the module. Besides learning the historical background of diplomacy taught in the first weeks, I have developed an interest in the concept of public diplomacy, celebrity diplomacy and NGOs which, I am sure, will be of primordial importance in my future career.

No comments:

Post a Comment